For me it started when I was looking for a better option for my short
commute in Cambridge, MA (used to commute through the winter on a 3-speed
vintage Triumph)

A co-worker had a Surly LHT and directed me to a Crosscheck that came up
for sale from a local fellow (I'm pretty sure he had been influenced by Riv
based on his build)... I bought that bike which came with 50mm Big Apples
but changed the tires to skinnier ones and never got quite comfortable on
it with it's low noodles dropbar - I didn't know better. I started
researching and found a solution: a stem extension to lift my handlebars,
it was ugly but worked ok.

After reading more and more to see how I could enjoy biking more and to
improve my posture, I found this group and around the same time I saw the
most beautiful blue Sam Hillborne at Harris Cyclery. I fell in love with
the Rivendell mindset, their bikes, and the whole kool-aid - the rest is
history, since then I've had: Soma San Marcos 59, Sam Hillborne 62, AHH 61
(James at Analog Cycles helped me set these up properly with their
enlightened fitting), AHH 63, SimpleOne 62, Hunqapillar 58, Custom Road
Standard and a Toyo Atlantis.

Btw, I'm going to have to go check out that local black/cream 58 Sam I
posted that's for sale to see how it rides, after downsizing all year, I
might come back home with a fourth bike.

Best,
Max Riv obsessed in MA

PS. There's also my wife's Susie ;)