"B) I concur w/ Robert Z, wind/solar can't handle the load until some
great extraordinary development in battery technology comes along. "

Not so fast.....concentrating solar thermal breaks that misconceived
limitation of solar.  The sun heats up a reservoir of working fluid.
The hot working fluid runs a steam generator turbine just like a
combustion based power plant.  In many cases the power plants
connected to solar thermal arrays are regular power plants that had
run on combustion.  Those power plants run 24/7, even though the sun
is only up 10 hours a day.  We need a lot of those plants to make a
big dent, but zero battery technology is needed to make that work.
They are approaching the magical "dollar a watt" price point for that
technology.  When that happens, China tips to solar because then it's
cheaper than building more coal plants, and then everything
changes.