I'm fortunate in that the hospital I work at offers lots of locations
for bike parking. I use the enclosed bike parking space but there are
plenty of other options and I haven't heard of any thefts or bikes
being stripped. My coworker locks his up right outside the ER and has
had no problems.

The city of Portland has taken out parking spaces to make room for
bikes in multiple locations. It's great.

http://bikeportland.org/2008/09/16/first-photos-of-new-on-street-bike-corral-downtown-8707

http://bikeportland.org/2010/10/12/more-bike-parking-than-car-parking-at-new-new-seasons-market-41013

These bike corrals would be better with birds on them though:

http://www.ifc.com/videos/portlandia-put-a-bird-on-it.php

http://www.ifc.com/videos/portlandia-the-city-of-portland.php

--mike