The developed world's been enjoying incredibly cheap energy courtesy
of the Carboniferous Period for the past 150 years.    The entire
economy of the developed world is completely, inextricably,
irrefutably based upon it.    Fossil fuel deposits are kind of solar
energy stored in battery cells-  but think solar power, compressed &
concentrated over ~100 million of years.   Incredibly potent.   It's
been stored there waiting to be exploited for another 300 million
years, like a tycoon's fortune willed to a lucky grandchild.    The
thing is, we've been pissing through it, just like a rich kid
squandering the family's wealth.    Now some are betting that
technology is going to magically save us from the coming energy
crisis.     But that kind of thinking is like the rich kid, realizing
he's all but chewed through his entire inheritance, deciding to head
to Las Vegas in a panic and betting the remainder at the roulette
table.

Modern solar technology is great but it won't fill the fuel tank of
the modern world.    There is no watt-per-watt replacement for fossil
fuels, specifically coal, oil and methane.  Nothing that matches the
net energy gain of extracting the concentrated/compressed sunlight
artifact from the earth and burning it.   Once these potent energy
sources are gone, they are gone, and subsequent generations will be
left holding the bag in the form of a more barren, more contaminated,
less bio-diverse world.    Civilization and it's energy consumption
will gradually downsize as fossil fuels are depleted.   It won't be
the first time the pinnacle of civilization has ebbed.   It's happened
all over the world, again and again, often for the same reason-
depleted resources.    The vast technological advancements of the past
century+ were made possible by the easy extraction and combustion of
fossil fuels, and the maintenance of these technologies is totally
dependent on a steady supply of this cheap energy.   Reduced
dependence on this energy is not going to be made possible by
increasing our need for it by increasing our initiative to develop new
exotic technologies.   It's like a drug addict trying to ease the
desire for drugs by taking more drugs.

Environmental concern is a compelling reason to walk or ride a bike,
even if choosing to do so for enjoyment is probably more common.  The
fact is, reducing fossil fuel consumption while maintaining our
economy is a hard if not impossible dilemma we're facing.    Maybe you
won't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things, but to
me, it's a matter of which side of a hard problem you chose to live
your life.