on 11/18/11 6:50 PM, Shifty at 1upand1d...@gmail.com wrote:

So, I was just about to plunk down a couple of hundred dollars on a Berthoud
front bag at Rene Herse. Mike kindly returned my phone call and immediately
asked about the bike I was going to put it on. A Rivendell, I replied (A.
Homer Hilsen). He said, do you know that the bag's weight will affect the
handling somewhat; some people can't live with it while others aren't
bothered by it at all. He said it was because of the "trail" high or low (I
don't recall which) of all Rivendell bikes and that Herse bikes have a
(high, low?) trail that accounts for weight carrying in the front.

So what do YOU think Rivendell front bag owner? Have you ever regretted the
effect the bag has on your Rivendell's handling?

You should really spend some time and go through the group archives here and
on iBob.  There are strong opinions on trail and front bags and front end
geometry. The whole topic of front end loading and fork trail can cause very
strong opinions among some folks.  The best thing to do might be play with a
cheap bag to see if you absolutely hate it before plunking down any major
expense.

For me, it makes a huge difference for about 25 yards when I switch between
my Quickbeam, which I generally run with a front bag and my Hilsen, which
has a rear bag setup.  Then I make whatever minor mental/physical
adjustments necessary, forget about it and ride.

You get used to the way you rig your bike, no matter what you do.  I'd get
the bag which make sense to you.

Best of luck!

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

The Gallery needs your photos! Send 'em in - Here's how:
http://www.cyclofiend.com/guidelines

"She edged in to get a better look at the bike, how it was made, the
intricacy of its brakes and shifters pulling her straight in. Beauty."
-- William Gibson, "Virtual Light"