The great debate rages on.  I've only test-ridden low-trail bikes (like the
Boulder) with front loads, and couldn't really fell much difference.  On my
AHH, I have an Acorn Rando that has had up to 10 lbs, as well as the
current setup with a platrack and large basket.  I can happily carry plenty
of weight there without ill effect.

Brian
Seattle, WA