On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 11:17 -0800, Rick wrote:
> > You should really spend some time and go through the group archives here and
> > on iBob.  There are strong opinions on trail and front bags and front end
> > geometry. The whole topic of front end loading and fork trail can cause very
> > strong opinions among some folks.  The best thing to do might be play with a
> > cheap bag to see if you absolutely hate it before plunking down any major
> > expense.
>
> This bit was the take away lesson, I'd say.

Assuming the cheap bag is supported well, you could get some useful
results.  I had great success with a much-modified $25 Nashbar Elite bag
I used for a couple of years on my Kogswell P/R.

But if the bag isn't mounted and supported on a rack the same way as the
better bag would be, the results might not be comparable, in that a bag
that's loose and free to swing to and fro would have an undesirable
effect on the steering that a better-installed bag would not have.