My test used an old Rhode Gear bag, a cheap Sunlite-style rack, and a $25
V-O headset decaleur.  Add in nuts, bolts, clamps, scissors, and an ancient
toestrap for the bottom.  The bag held still and was quiet, and served well
through a sagged tour.  A good, cheap test.

The bag weight rested on the rack and was secured with the toestrap.  The
decaleur mounted to the bag such that the bag was pulled up and held its
original shape.  Its integral frame held up the front, for a flat map-
reading table on top.

No waterproofing, however.

On Tuesday, November 22, 2011, Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 11:17 -0800, Rick wrote:
>> > You should really spend some time and go through the group archives
here and
>> > on iBob.  There are strong opinions on trail and front bags and front
end
>> > geometry. The whole topic of front end loading and fork trail can
cause very
>> > strong opinions among some folks.  The best thing to do might be play
with a
>> > cheap bag to see if you absolutely hate it before plunking down any
major
>> > expense.
>>
>> This bit was the take away lesson, I'd say.
>
> Assuming the cheap bag is supported well, you could get some useful
> results.  I had great success with a much-modified $25 Nashbar Elite bag
> I used for a couple of years on my Kogswell P/R.
>
> But if the bag isn't mounted and supported on a rack the same way as the
> better bag would be, the results might not be comparable, in that a bag
> that's loose and free to swing to and fro would have an undesirable
> effect on the steering that a better-installed bag would not have.

Ken Freeman
Ann Arbor, MI USA