Mike, et al.,

Well
 said and well put.  With budgets for FY 2012 being written, discussed
(read:argued) there will be some public libraries, some not small, that
will not be able to afford the paper copy!  I wish I were being an alarmist
about that comment; but alas, it is the way it is.

R.

--
Robert C.W. Hall, Jr.
Technical Services Associate Librarian

I don't think smaller libraries and cataloging operations were targeted for
disenfranchisement by the backers of RDA, but I do think that to varying
degrees disenfranchisement will result. I would be interested in hearing
what remedies--other than buy the printed version and hope--RDA enthusiasts
would offer us. It seems obvious that in the planning and creating of RDA
the emphasis would be on getting it right rather than planning for the
have-nots who will always exist regardless of what initiative is undertaken.
If all cataloging matters were held up until all cataloging agencies were in
a position to participate fully, no initiatives could ever be successfully
undertaken. When we get to the end of the adoption consideration process, it
will be interesting to see what suggestions are made for non-adopters, if
any are. So far it seems to pretty much be: "Go fish."

Mike Tribby

Senior Cataloger

Quality Books Inc.

mailto:mike.tri...@quality-books.com