Many excellent points in this thread; points not normally aired on this list
where the emphasis is more on the technical functionalities and requirements of
RDA. I think it may be important to realize that there is not now and never has
been any initiative for RDA to be anything but a constantly changing thing.
Those of us who, because of cost or inapplicability of aspects of RDA to our
practice, will not or cannot adopt it are not really part of the target
audience for RDA. It seems to me that adopting RDA assumes a bifurcation of the
cataloging world, or maybe more like a stratification into many levels of
adherence to a standard embraced by...

Well I'm not exactly sure who will and won't embrace RDA, but I don't think
those of us who might try to adopt it without the rather large and continuing
cash outlay of a subscription have much reason to be optimistic about that
path. So far we at QBI are leaning toward utilizing Mac's cheat sheets. We'll
know more if and when one of our customers adopts RDA. As I may have mentioned
before, we still have had absolutely no inquires about RDA from our customers,
yet we continue to sell cataloging with our titles.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.

mailto:mike.tri...@quality-books.com