Adam:

>>>"There is only one version of RDA that counts now, and that is the one
that is available through the RDA Toolkit, or, lacking that, the printed
loose-leaf version of RDA sold by ALA, CLA, CILIP, etc."

I disagree. Any given standard can only have a _single_ authoritative
source. If there's any difference between RDA Online and the print version
of RDA, no matter how minor, the print version is _not_ an authoritative
source of RDA. Even the correction of a spelling error in RDA Online renders
the print version non-authoritative.

>>>"The actual RDA is what counts now and it really behooves all of us who
comment on specific instructions to have access to it."

So those with access to RDA Online can comment, hash out the fine points,
and be an active participant in the understanding and adoption of RDA. Those
using the print version of RDA, or the drafts, should remain passive
participants in the process until they have access to the "actual RDA".
Correct?

That seems valid to me, but the consequences are pretty serious in terms of
the adoption of RDA. If someone like myself owns the print version, has an
active interest in RDA, and has found points of interest and problems in
RDA, the delay that results in putting off those questions/discussion until
I have access to RDA Online is problematic.

Paul Burley

Paul R. Burley
Technical Services Librarian
Northwestern University Transportation Library
1970 Campus Drive
Evanston, Illinois 60208-2300

Phone, 847-491-5274
Fax, 847-491-8601