My concern is that if you have

336     spoken word $2 rdacontent
337     audio $2 rdamedia
338     other $2 rda carrier

How do they know that that this thing is a Playaway, unless you say it's a
Playaway in the 300? And for matching, you must have consistency. Even for
human beings, we need consistency. Even for human beings looking at the
following list of various possible 300s, would everyone understand that what
they are talking about is a Playaway? (No!)
 1 sound media player
 1 pre-recorded MP3 player
 1 pre-recorded digital audio player
 1 Playaway
 1 audio media player
 1 digital media player

Once LC says whatever it is going to say, we are in desperate need for the
various cataloging constituencies to write guidelines (their
interpretations) of exactly how materials such as these are to be
consistently cataloged. This piece really cannot be left up to cataloger's
judgment, because that leaves the field open to many different answers.

Julie

--
Julie Renee Moore
Catalog Librarian

"There is more to life than simply increasing its speed." ~ Mahatma Gandhi