Hm.

If something has to be "known by" its title to avoid getting a conventional
collective title, doesn't that imply a certain amount of exposure to the
public before the time of cataloguing in order for people to become
familiar with the resource (get to know it)?  (Certainly, there aren't
going to be citations in reference sources to a new publication).

(This was where the "distinctive title" notion from AACR2 made sense.  You
could guess that "There once was a girl who..." would be remembered,
whereas, "new and collected poems" might not.)

So, is this provision just a grandfather clause to keep us from having to