You did say broad feedback, right? For 1st example I would use 2012, for
2nd example I would use 2008 if a record just for the paperback is made.
 In choosing the 1st printing dates in both instances, I have assumed
the announced printing dates to be equivalent to dates of publication.

The copyright dates which are not used to infer the publication dates
are no longer core, may still be included in another area, especially
since they differ from the dates used.
My take.

Jack

Jack Wu
Franciscan University of Steubenville
j...@franciscan.edu

>>> Deborah Fritz <debo...@marcofquality.com> 6/18/2013 9:31 AM >>>

Dear RDA-L Folks,

I would very much like to get some broad feedback from as many of you
as possible, on how you would handle the dates for following two
resources:

Example 1
Verso of book reads:

Copyright © 2013
First printing, August 2012
ISBN 9780321832740

Which date would you use to supply the publication date:
a)      the copyright date
b)      the first printing date
Would you add any other date information?
---------------------

Example 2
Verso of book reads:

Copyright © 2007
First printed in paperback 2008
ISBN 977-0-300-14333-1 (pbk)
ISBN 978-0-300-12078-3 (alk. Paper)

The hardcover version was published in 2007

Which date would you use to supply the publication date for the
paperback that you have:
c)       the copyright date
d)      the first printing (paperback) date
Would you add any other date information?
---------------------

I’m trying to get a sense of how much variation we can expect to see in
copy cataloging records, for this type of situation.

If you would rather not share with the list, then would you please
reply to me personally at: debo...@marcofquality.com?

Thanks very much,
Deborah

Deborah Fritz
TMQ, Inc.
debo...@marcofquality.com
www.marcofquality.com

Scanned by for virus, malware and spam by SCM appliance