Example 1: It depends on how you interpret "First printing, August 2012". While
this might be the date of manufacture, it might also be the date of publication
of the first printing -- and I was taught that an edition was described from a
copy of the first printing of that edition. So I would probably give "2012"
without brackets as the date of publication.

The copyright date, in this case, is not a core element; different institutions
will have different policies about whether to include it.

Example 2: As others have noted, it depends on whether you consider the
paperback as a distinct manifestation. If so, then the date would be 2008. As
with the previous example, I think I might interpret this as the date of
publication of the paperback edition and give "2008" without brackets;
although, admittedly, the wording in this case does tend to support treating
2008 as the date of printing.

I would probably give some indication of when the work was first published. I
would probably give this in a note "Hardcover edition published in 2007"; I
doubt that I would give the copyright date on a record for the paperback; it
would seem only to confuse the issue of when the paperback was published.

If you are not making a separate description for the paperback, then I would
not record the 2008 date anywhere in the record -- unless I added a note
"Paperback edition published in 2008".

John