For Example 1 I would supply 2013 as the publication date. Books are always
printed before they are published. Presumably these were printed and delivered
to the publisher in late 2012. Then they were "published", i.e., issued to the
public. That could easily have happened the following year. To me the copyright
date is evidence here of the publisher's intention.

For Example 2, assuming I am creating a separate record for the paperback, I
would supply 2008. 2007 is the copyright date in the underlying work or
expression, which was first published in 2007; the paperback was published the
following year, given the printing evidence. On the other hand, if I decide the
paperback is within the same manifestation as the hardback, I would just
include it on the original 2007 record. Depends on if there is a
size/pagination difference, how specialized my library is, etc.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Head, Special Collections and Formats Catalog Dept.
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568

"We should set an example for all the world, rather than confine ourselves to
the course which has been heretofore pursued"--Eliza R. Snow, 1842.