We would probably use '[2012?]' as the conjectural publication date for
example 1.  Our rule is to use the best evidence readily available,
which is often but not invariably the copyright.  I've checked Amazon in
similar cases and have always found that their date, which presumably
reflects availability to the public, corresponds to the printing date
rather than the copyright date.  But having checked Amazon I would add a
500 note, 'Publication date from bookseller's website', so I would not
really be using either copyright or printing date as the basis for the
conjecture.

We record all supplied dates as conjectural unless they come from the
publisher's website or the ISBN agency or something equally
authoritative.

We always record the copyright date if found on the resource.

For example 2, like most others we would give the date or conjectural
date of paperback issue if making a separate record for the paperback
but would often just add the paperback ISBN to the hardback record and
record the paperback date only as a holdings note.

Best wishes,

Bernadette

Bernadette O'Reilly
Catalogue Support Librarian