My thanks to the folks who sent in feedback on how they would handle my two
date examples. As I suspected, there was considerable variation on how the
dates would be entered for these resources-here is a summary, with some
paraphrasing, and extrapolating, so hopefully I have interpreted all the
replies correctly:

Example 1

Verso of book reads:

Copyright C 2013

First printing, August 2012

ISBN 9780321832740

Use C to supply PubD = 2

264_1 . $c[2013]

Use C to supply PubD, add C = 1

264_1 . $c[2013]

264_4 $cC2013

----

Use 1st Prt to supply PubD,  add C = 4

264_1 . $c[2012]

264_4 $cC2013

Use 1st Prt to supply PubD, add PrtD, add C = 1

264_1 . $c[2012]

264_3 . $c2012.

264_4 $cC2013

Enter 1st Prt as PubD = 2

264_1 . $c2012.

------------------------------

Here is my take on the 1st example:

LC-PCC PS for 2.10.6
<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/document.php?id=lcpschp2&target=lcps2-1702#lcp
s2-1702>

B) says: "If an item lacking a publication date contains a copyright date
and a date of manufacture and the years differ, supply a date of publication
that corresponds to the copyright date, in square brackets, if it seems
reasonable to assume that date is a likely publication date"

C.1) says: "Supply a date of publication that corresponds to the manufacture
date, in square brackets, if it seems reasonable to assume that date is a
likely publication date. For books, this means that the item is assumed to
be the first printing of the edition. Also record the manufacture date as
part of a manufacture statement if determined useful by the cataloger."

Email correspondence with LC clarified that since, for books, the first
printing of the edition is assumed to be a likely publication date, if the
item lacking a publication date contains a copyright date and a date of
manufacture and the years differ, supply a date of publication that
corresponds to the first printing date, in square brackets, since it is not
reasonable to assume that the copyright date is a likely publication date,
since it is logical to assume that the first printing date is the more
likely publication date (the resource cannot be published until it is
printed, once it is printed, it is likely to be immediately published, and
publishers have been known to put later copyright dates on resources)

I did ask LC to make this a bit more obvious in the LC PCC PS, but I'm not
sure I convinced them that this would be necessary.

So, based on this, I would use 1st Prt to supply PubD, add PrtD, add C *and*
I would also add the note to explain why I used the printing date rather
than the C date (to help  copy catalogers, not patrons):

264_1 . $c[2012]

264_3 . $c2012.

264_4 $cC2013

500     $aFirst printing, 2013.

--------------

Example 2

Verso of book reads:

Copyright C 2007

First printed in paperback 2008

ISBN 977-0-300-14333-1 (pbk)

ISBN 978-0-300-12078-3 (alk. Paper)

Share hardcover record, but otherwise  use 1st Prt to supply PubD = 3

264_1 . $c[2008]

Share hardcover record, but otherwise  use 1st Prt to supply PubD, add C = 4

264_1 . $c[2008]

264_4 $cC2007

Share hardcover record, but otherwise  use 1st Prt to supply PubD, add PrtD,
add C = 1

264_1 . $c[2008]

264_3 . $c2008.

264_4 $cC2007

Share hardcover record, but otherwise  use 1st Prt as PubD, do not add C
because would be confusing = 1

264_1 . $c2008.

--------------------

Here is my take on the 2nd example:

First, I agree that we would, in the past, add the paperback to the
hardcover record, if the only difference is the binding; but I have to say
that the date difference always bothered me (especially if it actually said
"Paperback published ." rather than "Paperback printing ." ). I know that we
are currently in the 'don't rock the boat' mode while we are still in MARC,
and so will probably continue with this practice, but I am even more uneasy
with it, under RDA thinking.

But, let's say there was some indication of a difference, e.g., a reader's
guide added to the paperback. In that case, I would apply the same reasoning
as before from LC-PCC PS for 2.10.6
<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/document.php?id=lcpschp2&target=lcps2-1702#lcp
s2-1702>   and  use 1st Prt to supply PubD, add C and, again, add an
explanatory note about the date I used to supply the PubD.

264_1 . $c[2008]

264_3 . $c2008.

264_4 $cC2007

500     $aFirst printing, 2008.

It is interesting that 3 responses said to use the C date to supply the PubD
, for the 1st example, but no responses said to do that for the 2nd example;
I assume that is because the C was the latest date in the 1st example. To
me, this indicates that clarification at the LC-PCC PS for 2.10.6
<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/document.php?id=lcpschp2&target=lcps2-1702#lcp
s2-1702>   would be very helpful.

Thanks again to everyone for the responses. They certainly verified for me
that this "First printing" issue is still not crystal clear.

Deborah

Deborah Fritz

TMQ, Inc.

 <mailto:debo...@marcofquality.com> debo...@marcofquality.com