Hello Darryl,

With Li battery chemistry, a process called Lithium Plating occurs when
charging a frozen cell. Intercalation into the lattice (how Li battery charges
and discharges) is resisted and the current then causes a metallic deposition
on the battery anode. Think of electroplating. Once this happens, it is
instant, permanent damage to the cell.

There are natural internal stresses in charging and discharging Li batteries.
That’s why they swell. A danger of the plating process can occur later in
battery life. The plating, in the form of dendrites, can puncture the separator
film due to the natural pressures and swelling, causing a short circuit. Any
short circuit in a Li battery is bad. Think Samsung phone.

Our solution is never let a Li battery cell drop below 0°C. We build  battery
packs in boxes and use heaters when required.  2 of the brands we carry have
charge inhibit controls that prevent charge current when a cell is below
freezing.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems