On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
>I tell those people to get a Mac: they can install and configure the
>software themselves; they can handle their own sysadmin tasks; and
>they'll find it much harder to shoot themselves in the foot than
>with other platforms.
>
>I suspect that in 1-2 years I'll be able to point them to a Linux
>distribution which approaches this ease-of-use and for which the
>appropriate applications are available.  *And* which still retains
>all the features of Linux that make it a technically superior
>operating system.

I wonder though if Linux, combined with KDE, or GNOME, or CDE might be
usable now for the same class of user that you want to steer to Macs,
rather than having them wait a year or two.

I think that such a setup would be usable, if configured well -- the
user still is able to use the desktop for most everything, and can
gradually find other uses, and even go into a command line mode when he
feels ready to do so, or for those times where the GUI is inadequate for
the task.

Other setups such as Caldera might work as well, but IMHO having
icons for everything in /usr/bin isn't the way to go, as it really
doesn't clue the user as to what the programs do, and presents too much
information all at once.