David E. Fox wrote:

> I wonder though if Linux, combined with KDE, or GNOME, or CDE might be
> usable now for the same class of user that you want to steer to Macs,
> rather than having them wait a year or two.
>
> I think that such a setup would be usable, if configured well -- the
> user still is able to use the desktop for most everything, and can
> gradually find other uses, and even go into a command line mode when he
> feels ready to do so, or for those times where the GUI is inadequate for
> the task.

I don't know about KDE or CDE, but the GNOME ain't there yet, not for
newbies.  Soon maybe, but as the GNOME guys will tell you, it's still
very beta at this point.  I wouldn't trust it to a newbie, especially a
newbie with experience in the pre-packaged-desktop world of Mac and M$.

But as soon as it _is_ stable 'out of the box,' then yes, the GNOME is
going to be a huge step toward making Linux usable for the mouse-pushing
crowd.  As soon as 1.0 comes out (soon? not soon?), I plan on exerting
extensive pressure around here to start getting some other folks off of
their 95/NT desktops and onto a Real OS.  They certainly are fed up with
their existing situation.

Note, however, that the initial setup is still going to be a bit of a
chore for Aunt Mae back home in the woods.  On that count, I'm pulling
for linuxconf and its many modules to be a big boon.