On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

> any Micro$oft OS, I have just about zero familiarity with PC hardware.
> (I've lived in a world of Sun, Sequent, NeXT, Digital, SGI, and HP
> machines.)

It's amazing that MS claims that Unix is so hard when, in fact, the
hardest thing in the entire computer world is making PC hardware work.  :)

> J. Random Laptop spotted in misc.forsale.*, whether or not it
> will run (say) Red Hat Linux 5.1.  (I assure you that I'm neither

I know that Winbooks and almost any Toshiba notebook will work.  Linux
supports almost everything these days, especially high quality/high
volume components like you find in the brand name laptops.  But brand
name desktop systems typically have the WORST components.  This odd
duality is a mystery to me...