On Fri, Jun 19, 1998 at 07:04:51AM -0700, David E. Fox wrote:
> I wonder though if Linux, combined with KDE, or GNOME, or CDE might be
> usable now for the same class of user that you want to steer to Macs,
> rather than having them wait a year or two.
>
> I think that such a setup would be usable, if configured well [...]

And that's the rub.  While I very much think that's there every hope
that one or more of the environments you mention are close and getting
closer, they still need the services of an expert in order to configure
them in a way that applications-oriented users can cope with.

You or I could probably give a group of users a nifty environment
using those tools -- we might have to do some head-scratching to
get everything glued together transparently, but we could do it.
But I don't think they could do it for themselves, and so words
like "arcane", "unfriendly", and "geek" will continue to be used
when the subject comes up.

(Which is kinda unfair: doing this under a lot of other environments
is no cakewalk, either!)

> Other setups such as Caldera might work as well, but IMHO having
> icons for everything in /usr/bin isn't the way to go, as it really
> doesn't clue the user as to what the programs do, and presents too much
> information all at once.

I concur with this, too.  I don't think it's necessary or useful to
try to put a GUI face on everything; I think that only someone somewhat
comfortable working in a shell would have a use for "comm" or "uniq",
anyway.

---Rsk
Rich Kulawiec