Rich Kulawiec wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 19, 1998 at 04:24:03PM -0700, David E. Fox wrote:
> > Installation isn't the be-all of OSes ease of use - it's only a minor
> > part, yet it usually becomes  the focus of the discussion. We thus have
> > a bunch of people who can't see the ease of use of whatever OS they
> > might want to get involved with for fear of not being able to cross the
> > installation hurdle.
>
> I agree with you.  I've had to face the installation hurdle myself --
> despite nearly two decades of Unix work, *I'm* having trouble figuring
> out which laptop to buy to run Linux on, because, having never used
[...]

Installation ease IS a major hurdle and is very important.  It often
is the VERY first impression one gets of the new OS.  If it is a
bitch to install, then it leaves a bad taste.  If it is a bitch to
install, it can easily drive one from going on and trying the OS
out of frustration in trying to get something up and running.

The os should do work, one should not have to work on it - at
least not for an inordinate amount of time just so productive
work can THEN get done.  A bitch of an install may be fine for
a hacker, since learning the gory details of how this and that
works is central.  To the rest of the users, installation is
expected (rightly so) to be one of the fastest and simplest
parts of dealing with the os.  They want to get it running to
do wordprocessing, web browsing, emailing, faxing, and play
some games...today, not in a week after working to get past this
hurdle or that hurdle, this problem or that problem.

A goal of linux should be to make the install as easy, fast, and
painless as absolutely possible.  If you want to get into the gears
and wheels of installing and setting things up, either do so after
the initial install OR choose to do it that way in the first place,
just don't expect that the hard way should be the only (or even the
main) way.

patrick

patrick