Matt> I am havin some minor system problems due to the fact that my
    Matt> /var/run/utmp file seems to be out of order.
    Matt> ideas?

If your /var/run/utmp file was corrupted and you didn't do anything to
precipitate it (like installing new libc, include files or RPMs for tools
that read/write utmp), check *very carefully* to see if your system has been
compromised.  If:

    * you are running RH 5.0 or earlier
    * your machine is IP connected to the net (direct, PPP, slip, etc)
    * you haven't yet upgraded to named 4.9.7 or 8.1.2

there's a good chance your system has been compromised at the root level.
Telltale signs from my own experience:

    * the presence of a file named /dev/reset
    * corruption of /var/run/utmp
    * invalid checksums on some important system tools

*Don't* trust cksum or md5sum on the suspect machine.  Use versions from a
CD or other known good source (perhaps a non-Linux machine + rsh).

I posted a CERT advisory about this in the past week or so.  People, please

Skip Montanaro    | Musi-Cal: http://concerts.calendar.com/
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | Conference Calendar: http://conferences.calendar.com/
(518)372-5583