On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 23:58:14 -0500, Scott Kindley wrote:

>Im just catching the last of the "Re: RH 5.0 without glibc (libc-6) (was: Can'
>execute RH 5.0 exe" thread but I have a question I don't think has been answer
>ed
>(at least not that I have found), Why is," libc5 going away  (according to one
>post in this thread) and all linux distro's soon to follow or be dead". I cant
>understand why a 5.x version ISN'T backward compatible with libc5.  Seems to m
>e,
>IMHO, if libc5 was to become unsupported it should phase out over a couple of
>versions while the interim versions maintain backward compatibility.

Ok, I may not be 100% correct here, so others may modify my answer.
Basically, a push began over 2 years ago to develop a POSIX compliant C
library for Linux.  (the libc5.x was not POSIX compliant.)  Anyway, the GNU
organization began their own C lib (thus the name glibc).  Since there were so
many major changes that needed to be made, there was just no way to make the
new C lib and still maintain compatibility with libc5.

The maintainers of libc5 (Dreper, et al) joined on the glibc project, so that
ultimately left libc5 dead.  This should not be seen as a bad move.  It is a
very good move for the Linux OS and will create a much healthier programming
environment overall.

Considering how drastic and fundamental the change, I'm *very* pleased at how
well RH 5.0 is being received and how well it works.  I am still able to stand
by my original projection for the level of bugs and fixes for 5.0.  My goal
was to make 5.0 as stable and no more buggy than RH 4.1 was.  Right now, they
are about equal in terms of errata fixes, and stability.  Based on that, I
believe that 5.1 will be at the very least, as stable as 4.2 was/is.  I
actually think that 5.1 will be more stable than 4.2, but that remains to be
seen.

Mike