On Fri, 13 Mar 1998 22:37:05 +0100 (CET), Andreas Kostyrka wrote:

>What bugs me quite with RH are many small non-security related bugs, that
>have a tendency to be NOT fixed; Examples:
>- taper is being supplied, but taper require ncurses v4 -> RH5 ships with
>  ncurses 1.99. Either upgrade ncurses or stop shiping taper.

rpm -qp --requires taper-6.8.0a10-2.i386.rpm
libncurses.so.3.0
libform.so.3.0
libc.so.6
ld-linux.so.2
rpm -qp --provides ncurses-1.9.9e-8.i386.rpm
libpanel.so.3.0
libncurses.so.3.0
libmenu.so.3.0
libform.so.3.0

We provide the correct libs for the ncurses that we ship.

>- Tcl/Tk 8.0. This version is quite buggy, and I've found the error with
>  zircon, and much more grave with my own app, that I need for my
>  customers.

There are incompatibilities between the tcl/tk 7 that we shipped and with 8.0.
I just checked with Gafton and he wasn't aware of any bugs in tcl/tk 8 that we
ship.

>- BackSpace not working in X11 (try netscape for this.) What kind of
>  keyboards do you use at RH?

My backspace key works just fine in X (and in Netscape).  I've got a
generic PS/2 keyboard, nothing special.

>Another nice thing would be a howto explaining how to recompile RH5.0 from
>scratch (in a chrooted enviroment), it's not that easy, as .src.rpms don't
>support dependencies -> you have to check manually if a .src.rpm rebuild
>failed because it the .spec file has a bug, or because a library, etc. are
>missing.

This is no trivial issue.  The only person here that knows how to do it is
Erik.  I doubt he will be writing any docs in the near future on this issue
either. :)

>Another thing: RH support via Email is (was?) a joke. But then, I at least
>learned how a M$ customer feels (not really, RH is still cheaper
>*evilgrin*). The funny thing is, that the only answer that was ok was
>signed by someone, while the ``cover-your-ass'' answers where all
>unsigned. (Additionally these guys have the tendency to close a ticket,
>even if they have demonstrated that they didn't crasp the problem :( )

Support now is at full staff and the mail back log that we had last month is
under control.  Please feel free to send support issues to [EMAIL PROTECTED],
he is now handling the entire department (and he is physically here, finally)

Mike