On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Mike Wangsmo wrote:

> Considering how drastic and fundamental the change, I'm *very* pleased at how
> well RH 5.0 is being received and how well it works.  I am still able to stand
> by my original projection for the level of bugs and fixes for 5.0.  My goal
> was to make 5.0 as stable and no more buggy than RH 4.1 was.  Right now, they
> are about equal in terms of errata fixes, and stability.  Based on that, I
> believe that 5.1 will be at the very least, as stable as 4.2 was/is.  I
> actually think that 5.1 will be more stable than 4.2, but that remains to be
> seen.
What bugs me quite with RH are many small non-security related bugs, that
have a tendency to be NOT fixed; Examples:
- taper is being supplied, but taper require ncurses v4 -> RH5 ships with
  ncurses 1.99. Either upgrade ncurses or stop shiping taper.
- Tcl/Tk 8.0. This version is quite buggy, and I've found the error with
  zircon, and much more grave with my own app, that I need for my
  customers.
- BackSpace not working in X11 (try netscape for this.) What kind of
  keyboards do you use at RH?

Another nice thing would be a howto explaining how to recompile RH5.0 from
scratch (in a chrooted enviroment), it's not that easy, as .src.rpms don't
support dependencies -> you have to check manually if a .src.rpm rebuild
failed because it the .spec file has a bug, or because a library, etc. are
missing.

Another thing: RH support via Email is (was?) a joke. But then, I at least
learned how a M$ customer feels (not really, RH is still cheaper
*evilgrin*). The funny thing is, that the only answer that was ok was
signed by someone, while the ``cover-your-ass'' answers where all
unsigned. (Additionally these guys have the tendency to close a ticket,
even if they have demonstrated that they didn't crasp the problem :( )

Andreas