On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 01:09:02AM -0700, Bill Anderson wrote:
> Given the number of people who avoid X.0 releases, waiting instead for
> X.[1,2,3] releases, I would not be suprised to see a slower adoption
> rate. Some maye even see the 8.0 -> 9.0 as a "rush" deal, and as a
> result be more likely to avoid 9.0. If you avoided 8.0 due to it being a
> .0 release, you are likely, in the general case, to avoid 9.0 for the
> same reason.

Let me be perfectly blunt here.  If you're avoiding a .0 release solely
based on the numbering scheme, then you haven't earned the right to be a
system administrator.  Every release needs to be evaluated based on its
strenghts and weaknesses and how relevant it is to your environment.

You can have a crappy 8.27 release and it might be just as likely that
you'll have a rock solid 9.0 release.  It's just a number.

I've seen alpha releases more stable than production releases.  I've
seen production releases from *lots* of vendors that plain out suck.
These aren't all .0 releases either.

People doing installs next month have multiple choices, all with varying
tradeoffs.  They can install 7.3, 8.0, 9, or Enterprise Linux.  All have
pros and cons and some will be more relevant to your environment than
others.  You can even install a release older than 7.3 if that suits you
better.  You get to trade off features, bugs, performance, and support
(and price with Enterprise Linux).

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]