On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 17:41, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 05:33:07PM -0500, Joe Polk wrote:
> > While I would agree with what most have been saying, namely that RH can
> > do whatever they damn well pleases, I don't necessarily like the trend.
> > Caldera has consistently alienated the Linux community starting with
> > tactics much like this. I used Caldera back in the day and loved it. But
> > they didn't seem interested in the end user, unless you were an end user
> > at a big company.  I'm not saying this is the direction that RH is
> > going, but they have taken some steps down that road. Let's hope they
> > can see where at leads WITHOUT having to tread the entire length.
> > Again, they can do what they please but that doesn't mean there aren't
> > consequences. The consequences here could very well be a disgruntled
> > user base that simply goes elsewhere. While they won't hurt the existing
> > base of corporate users right now, it will keep people from suggesting
> > RH in the future which ultimately will hurt them.
>
> Wow.  Red Hat bumped the version number from the expected 8.1 to 9 and
> now you're saying people will stop suggesting Red Hat?  A disgruntled
> user base that simply goes elsewhere?  A little dramatic don't you
> think?

Given the number of people who avoid X.0 releases, waiting instead for
X.[1,2,3] releases, I would not be suprised to see a slower adoption
rate. Some maye even see the 8.0 -> 9.0 as a "rush" deal, and as a
result be more likely to avoid 9.0. If you avoided 8.0 due to it being a
.0 release, you are likely, in the general case, to avoid 9.0 for the
same reason.

If memory serves, there are people on this very list that acknowledge
they tend away from X.0 releaes. Many suggest staying away from X.0
releases as well. I would think it more dramatic for these people to
suddenly be pro-9.0.

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773