On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 01:09:02AM -0700, Bill Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 17:41, Ed Wilts wrote:
[...]
> > Wow.  Red Hat bumped the version number from the expected 8.1 to 9 and
> > now you're saying people will stop suggesting Red Hat?  A disgruntled
> > user base that simply goes elsewhere?  A little dramatic don't you
> > think?
>
> Given the number of people who avoid X.0 releases, waiting instead for
> X.[1,2,3] releases, I would not be suprised to see a slower adoption
> rate. Some maye even see the 8.0 -> 9.0 as a "rush" deal, and as a
> result be more likely to avoid 9.0. If you avoided 8.0 due to it being a
> .0 release, you are likely, in the general case, to avoid 9.0 for the
> same reason.

Amen. I for one was waiting for 8.1, maybe even 8.2, as the x.2
releases have proven to be excellent releases (exception: 7.2 -> 7.3).
The way I see it now, I'll probably consider switching distros rather
than going 7.3 -> 9.0. That would still present me with new bugs and
challenges, but maybe bring me back to a distro with a more suitable
development direction. I've been using RHL since 4.1 and I've been
happy with it, but recently the inclination to switch slowly increases.
At least, I'll start gathering information about alternatives.

> If memory serves, there are people on this very list that acknowledge
> they tend away from X.0 releaes. Many suggest staying away from X.0
> releases as well. I would think it more dramatic for these people to
> suddenly be pro-9.0.

Is the second 'x.0' supposed to be a 'x.1'? Would make more sense that
way... ;-) But you're absolutely right: For the folks you describe
(and which I'm part of), 9.0 would have to offer some *very* juicy
bits to even think about switching.

Cheerio,

Thomas