On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 06:30:17PM -0500, Ben Russo wrote:
> The "BINARY" RPM's are only available through RHN, and even if you have
> a Redhat AS
> RHN subscription with which to download them, they are (IANAL)
> "copyrighted" or licensed
> or something so you are not allowed to redistribute them.
>
> However the SRPMs are available via the RedHat FTP site and the RedHat
> mirrors.
> As long as you build the SRPM yourself you are "Free" to do so.
>
> RedHat *HAS* to do this for all the software packages that come from
> Open Source Licenses.
> They don't have a choice.

They have a lot of choices.  They have to make the sources available
to those that get the binaries.  You and I don't have to get them.  Red
Hat can also distribute the sources in any traditional software
distribution they choose - this could be tar files, not srpms.  Red Hat
could release the srpms only through RHN and be compliant since *every*
Enterprise Linux has RHN access (it's part of the service).

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]