-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Kulawiec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, June 16, 1998 7:21 PM
Subject: Re: What's so great about Linux?

>Just remember what happened between VMS and Berkeley Unix.  All the
>comments you are making now were made 15 years ago, when that struggle
>became visible.  The outcome?  Unix built the Internet.  Ken Olsen's
>insistence on VMS destroyed DEC and allowed companies like Sun to blossom.

And then Dave "Father of VMS" Cutler jumped over to Microsoft and built NT.

He learned from his mistakes; why waste money on trying to improve the OS
when you can spend it on marketing instead?  If nobody's heard of the
competition, it doesn't matter if they're technically superior.

Windows NT is a triumph of the modern viewpoint; style over substance.  The
same viewpoint that results in the situation where we'll throw a kid out of
school for kissing a girl, but when he's older if he rapes and murders her
he'll get probation.