On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Tim Pickering wrote:

> that's not entirely true. if you build under solaris 2.4, it's likely
> that it will work under solaris > 2.4. however, if you build something
> on 2.5.1 or 2.6, it will NOT work under 2.4 because of library

Does anything work under 2.4?  :)

I wouldn't expect forward compatibility.  Something built for 2.6
shouldn't have to work on 2.4.  If it happens to, hooray; but you can't
count on it.  If you build it on 2.6 you can expect it to use the features
in 2.6.

> incompatibility issues. and i think stuff built on 2.6 won't work on
> 2.5(.1), but i haven't tested that myself.  linux isn't alone in

Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't.  2.5 and 2.6 are not all that
different really.  In any case (at least, among 2.5 and 2.6 systems, I
consider 2.4 a total loss) you do not have the problems with linux where
not only binary programs are incompatible but also source code, because
the system and (especially) library call semantics change so often.  I
have sometimes had better luck compiling software according to the SCO or
HP instructions than according to the Linux instructions.  I usually have
the best luck with the POSIX makefile, if there is one, than with any
Linux one, unless the software is specifically intended for Linux (in
which case the developers will be a little more up to date).