On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Kevin Holmquist wrote:

> Remember the background, though:
> Solaris is written for 64-bit Sparc chips and ported to 32-bit Intel,
> whereas Linux was written for 32-bit Intel chips and ported to 64-bit Sparc.
> I only mention this because when you start mixing 32 and 64 bit hardware,
> OSes, and apps you can get mixed  results.

Actually, Solaris was written for 32-bit SPARC chips then ported to 32-bit
Intel and 64-bit SPARC.  SunOS 5.x (the actual OS component of Solaris) is
about 7-8 years old, the first 64-bit SPARC chips started shipping a bit
over 4 years ago, and the first 64-bit SunOS (5.7) came out less than 2
years ago.

But you are correct that selecting the correct OS for the job is both a
technical and political battle.  It is made even worse when you have to
deal with a lot of folks who have deep prejudices one way or the
other.  My ploy is that I have them give me the requirements then I decide
on the architecture.  No one has balked too much, yet, except for the
WinTel camp that wants to put everything on MS OS's.

- rick warner