On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I'm not sure what the intent of your questions is....

Well, I'm very confused. I have heard lots of people talk about the poor
performance that Solaris has, and I have to admit that I am suffering the low
performance, even on ULTRA-SPARC. What I want is technical reasons of why
Linux would be a better shot then Solaris. I would like to know how each
kernel works. How do the allocate memory, etc.

> Which is 'better' depends on what conditions exist.  Do you need lots of
> support? Intel is probably better.  Do you a huge enterprise level box to
> serve a database to thousands of users? Sparc is probably better.

In this case, Intel is the desided platform (hardware), but the chief wants
Solaris, and we have suffered to much with Solaris so far, that I would
prefer to use Linux.

> Remember,  these are two different architectures, pc (intel) and Sun
> (sparc).  Which is 'better' will depend on many factors...

Well, I was a bit missunderstood. I need info on the software part, not that
much on the hardware.

Thanks for your kind answer.

Saludos...:-)

--
"And I'm happy, because you make me feel good, about me." - Melvin Udall
Martín Marqués                  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]