From: Kerry Miller [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 01 April 2002 22:18
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Sendmail question

I'm a neophyte at Sendmail, so here goes nuthin'....

We're running an older version of Sendmail, 8.8.7-20, but I'm not in charge
of the upgrade so I can't do that right now.  ORDB.org says we're an open
relay and I can't figure out how to tighten it up.  I've tried a couple of
things on the sendmail website for 8.8, the latest thing I tried was called
"check_rcpt". It uses a line which includes {client_addr} and is supposed to
get the info from a file called /etc/mail/localIP.  I set up that file, but
is there someplace I have to define client_addr?  It looks like it's still
open to everywhere instead of just the addresses I put in that file.

I tried another "hack" which was supposed to only allow relaying from the
local network, but it didn't let me send even from my own network!  I need
something half-way in between...  I think it was a newer version of the
check_rcpt hack I've got in there now.  That's the one that didn't let me
send mail at all.

Are there any sendmail people out there who could help me get started?  I'd
settle for a link with more info than the anti-spam links on sendmail.com.

Thanks,
Kerry Miller