> > Startup, login as root - ok, login as user - ok, try to login again
> > as root - login incorrect...

I reinstalled RH 7.3 and in the process my startup defaulted to run level 5
and took me right into gnome.  I ran this way for awhile as I was working on
Samba.  I could login as user, and back to root without a problem.

Since this pc is destined to be a server I changed run level in inittab back
to 3.  The root password does not work problem came back.  I switched back
to run level 5 as the default run level and there is no problem logging in
back and forth.

Any more ideas?  I found something in a google search about NIS causing this
behaviour but I believe NIS is something I have to intentionally enable.
ps -A doesn't show anything called NIS running.

Thanks,

Larry Nobs