> > Startup, login as root - ok, login as user - ok, try to login again
> > as root - login incorrect...
> >

>   The file /etc/securetty is used as a list of terminals from which
> root is allowed to log in. It is possible that some of the tty?
> entries are missing or corrupted. You can edit this file with an
> editor. Here is mine from a RH 7.0 machine:

I checked mine.  It looks the same.

I think I remember reading that when you login, that you are temporary
changed to root or su so the process can read the password file, then
changed back before the user can interact again.  I wonder if something is
wrong with that process.

I may just reinstall tomorrow.

Thanks,

Larry Nobs