Simple. One case was an HT-90 with stock CDCSS. I added a CTCSS board
for it to access a different repeater. Both channels (the CDCSS one and
the CTCSS) one worked fine.

It's likely your panel is not capable of dual encode by itself, or is
programmed to not respond to a different CTCSS/CDCSS until it drops. My
panels have that OPTION too, but it is rarely used. I usually program it
to allow interrupt.

Joe M.