Rusty Coleman wrote:
> Maybe as a side question, can you run two CTCSS tones at the same time,
> if they are far enough apart in frequency?  Currently I have a 123.0hz
> tone on our repeater, and I need to also encode a tone only when a user
> is actually transmitting, for linking purposes.  I do not care what the
> frequency of this other tone is, as long as it wont interfere with the
> 123.0hz tone.

A local group here has "experimented" with mixing 103.5 and 123.0 for a
number of years to "alert" on some things that happen on a particular
repeater.

It's completely up to the receiver as to whether or not it works.
Typically the more "modern" the receiver, the less chance it has of
working properly.

In your case, it sounds like you're trying to link to IRLP, perhaps?

It's probably better to just switch the whole repeater to
CTCSS-follows-user when IRLP is active, and back the other way if you
want when not.

(We just left ours in CTCSS-follows-User, even though we originally
planned to switch it back and forth with DTMF from the IRLP node.  Once
in a while I punch in the "normal" mode out of boredom... just to play
with it.  The IRLP still always sends the command to switch "just in
case" so it doesn't matter what mode it gets left in.)

Nate WY0X