Hi Robin,

I see that a number of people have responded to this msg. I'll just chip in a few more sentences here and there.

Short version:     What objections are there to having two or more
                  well written, generally non-overlapping, ~500
                  word critiques for a proposal if the authors can't
                  figure out a way to express all their concerns
                  in a single ~500 word piece?

As I mentioned in the prev msg: we would like to summarize all the issues with each proposal into one critique. I understand that agreement some times is difficult (hence rough consensus needed).

                  My page on some of these constraints:

http://www.firstpr.com.au/ip/ivip/RRG-2009/constraints/

                  has been fine-tuned as a result of
                  considerable RRG discussion.  As far as I
                  know no-one objects to this attempt to
                  express the real constraints we are
                  operating within.  Quite a few people
                  expressed their support for this attempt -
                  though of course we all wish there were no
                  such constraints.

                  I suggest that we work on a version of this
                  to be included in the RRG Report, which
                  the co-chairs will hopefully be able able
                  to find rough consensus support for.

Looks like there is no consensus for this proposal.
ANyone can always submit their work as individual draft, perhaps you can even working with the few people that share your views.

                  Could the Report include a section near
                  the front classifying the proposals into
                  various groups?

will try to look into this.

RFCs are composed entirely of recycled electrons.

this is very true. However I think there is an important bottleneck: people's time and effort, which are very limited.

My LISP critique is in the current draft of the Report:

 http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-rrg-recommendation-04

and Noel Chiappa's:

 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05747.html

isn't, simply because I wrote mine before Noel wrote his.

I don't want Noel's critique to displace mine, nor mine to displace
his.  I think they are both perfectly good critiques and there is
only a small amount of overlap.

I want Noel's critique included in the Report.  Likewise any other
similarly thoughtful critique of LISP or any other proposal.

it is purely my fault -- I agreed to look over both and find a solution here last weekend; will get it done this weekend.

The RRG Report needs to be adopted by consensus,

rough consensus.

and I won't fully
support a final version which I think is missing a significant
critique such as Noel's or my (not yet finalised) critique of Name
Based Sockets.

Similarly, Javier's critique of Name Based Sockets is in the current
draft and mine is not, simply because Javier wrote his first.

I do not want my critique to displace Javier's.  As far as I know, he
doesn't want to exclude mine from the Report either.  I don't want to
have to try to jam my concerns into a single piece of text which
Javier would also be happy with.  There is a diversity of opinion on
what needs to be critiqued in each proposal - and there's no point in
trying to force consensus or give the appearance of consensus when
none exists.

Robin, I would like to clarify the following:

- the reason one writes critiques is not to associate one's name to it, but to explain the issues. Lets stop talking about "my critique" vs "your critique", and start talking about the actual issues themselves.

- if we focus on issues: we can either resolve the diversity of opinions, or otherwise incorporate them if that deems beneficial to the community.

You and Tony have already changed your plan by accepting a proposal
very late - RANGER.  No-one seems to object to this.

there was a confusion somewhere that led to the RANGER delay. and since we want to document all existing proposals, in case of doubt, it is better to fall on the inclusive side.

You have also
accepted five proposals which are not actually proper scalable
routing proposals:

 Evolution - Aggregation with Increasing Scopes

    This does not claim to solve the scaling problem - it is
    a number of suggestions for reconfiguring routers to achieve
    benefits which are very slight compared to the scaling
    benefits we need, but which may prove valuable while not
    getting in the way of a proper solution.

 Enhanced Efficiency of Mapping Distribution Protocols ...

   In the submission (msg05540) K. Sriram noted that this was
   intended for archival purposes:

        "I do not intend it to be a contribution for the mainstream
         set of proposals for a solution for scalability.  . . .
         My main intent in submitting this proposal/document is for
         archival value."

 2-phased mapping
 Layered Mapping System (LMS)
 Compact routing in locator identifier mapping system

   As with "Enhanced Efficiency ..." these three are for mapping
   systems only, not full proposals.

I am not opposed to the inclusion of these five which were submitted
despite Tony noting twice (msg05513, msg05496) that a mapping system
alone is not a complete solution.

I don't understand how you could be so relaxed about space concerns
when including these five, and then be so concerned about space as to
disallow the inclusion of multiple critiques for those complete
proposals which people are most concerned about.

(my own opinion) we want critiques to identify issues with a proposal, I see it is most beneficial to the community to have all the issues (including different views) about a proposal in one place.

Lixia