Hi Andrew. I began implementing a MultiPartitions class based on Partitions
but other things took over. This Trac ticket
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/10630 has the relevant patch. You
may find this cuts out some of your work. I also had ideas for cleaning up
Partitions but never quite got there either and so the multipartitions code
I wrote may also need some modifications in line with your cleanup. I also
was not at all interested in writing optimised code to begin with and the
code needs much attention in that direction. Correctness first I always say!

My main interest was in multi symmetric polynomials and functions for which
I have some code, but not a lot.

Since at least one other person is interested in multi partitions at least,
I may be able to find some time to collaborate on this work. Could you
(either on list of privately) share some of your thoughts/work so far?

Also, is there still interest in multi-symmetric functions? I can certainly
provide what I have so far and may find some time to work on the code again
if there's interest.

Cheers,
Paul.