> PartitionTuples is actually used, in some of my programs and now one
> time in patch #11412, and further in patch #11414 (submitted day
> before yesterday).

Hi Paul,

Currently it is just a suggestion to rename PartitionTuples as
Multipartions. Whether or not this actually happens depends on how
everyone feels about it. Personally, I prefer Multipartition but I can
live with PartitionTuples :)

> If one wants to give all partitions of given weight, but indexed
> through their core and quotient, it makes sense to use PartitionTuples
> to index the quotients.

Yes, I do this too in quite a bit of my (gap) code. My motivation for
working on this is that I need more functionality for multipartitions
than is currently available. Essentially, I want to extend a lot of
the symmetric group combinatorics for partitions to the class of
Multipartitions/PartitionTuples. Current functionality shouldn't be
lost  and, if anything, it will become easier as there will be more
methods available and new classes for individual multipartitions which
are element classes for the existing classes for sets of
multipartitions. Whether or not the name is changed I'll have to make
sure that my changes don't break existing code, including your
patches. And then my code will only be accepted if its reviewers think
it's an improvement:)

> A note on deprec(i)ation: is there a formal description somewhere of
> that process?

I just looked and found:
http://www.sagemath.org/doc/reference/sage/misc/misc.html#sage.misc.misc.deprecated_function_alias
There is some discussion about the depreciation policy in sage-devel.
To summarise, functions should only be depreciated if there is general
agreement; backward compatibility should be maintained unless there
are good reasons not to; depreciated code should carry a warning of
teir empending depreciation for at least one year before it is
removed.

Andrew