On 3 June 2011 09:37, Andrew Mathas <andrew.mat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 3, 6:22 am, "Nicolas M. Thiery" <nicolas.thi...@u-psud.fr>
> wrote:
> >         Hi Andrew, Paul,
> >
> > There is a potential ambiguity, so let me ask to make sure.  Paul: in
> > your use case, the multi partitions are all of the same length (say
> > n), and are sorted for the *simultaneous* action of the symmetric
> > group S_n on all partitions, right? E.g. a typical example is:
> >
> >  [ [ 2,1,1,1,1 ]
> >    [ 1,2,1,1,1 ] ]
> >
> > Andrew: is this what you want to manipulate? Or are you interested in
> > objects like:
> >
> >  [ [2,1,1,1], [2,1], [3,2,2,2] ]
>
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> I just looked at Paul's patch and, of course, you are right. My
> objects index the conjugacy classes of the wreath product of a finite
> cyclic group with the symmetric group. I would call Paul's object
> mulicompositions. Given this ambiguity I should stick with
> PartitionTuples.
>
> Andrew

The naming here is I think not entirely consistent in the literature, the
term multi-partite partitions also pops up. And then multi-symmetric
functions may me different things too. I should have looked a bit closer at
what you had written. Nevertheless, from my limited understanding both ideas
are related and maybe could share some code.

> > By the way, Paul: I owe you an apology for not having yet looked at
> > your code. Basically, I did not need it right away ... I still think
> > that this would be a very useful and natural addition to Sage. Please
> > get in touch with Emmanuel to get a mathematic review. And please,
> > someone, take over the review from me!

Nicolas, there's no need to apologize. I've been working on entirely
unrelated areas and haven't looked at the code for months anyway. I will try
to get something up and running for (what I'm calling) multi-partitions and
multi-symmetric functions/polynomial. Perhaps we'll need to sort out the
naming at some point, but I can easily change it later as needed. I'll get
in touch with Emmanuel also.

Cheers,
Paul.