I guess that I should make it clearer that the first time I searched
the log with:
$ git log
to find the commit message by Travis by looking through all of
them to find the one relevant to the branch I was interested in.

It wasn't until later that I realized that could checkout the branch
first and then check the logs only relevant to that branch.

The command that I think should work to read the log of a branch
without checking it out doesn't seem to work for me.

-Mike