People interested in maintaining sagelib should only care about the version
constraint in the pyproject.toml file (e.g. if they decide that a new
feature of numpy is needed, then the version constraint of numpy should be
changed accordingly). People interested in maintaining sage-the-distro
should maintain sage-the-distro. If they (for some reason) need a tighter
version constraint than sagelib, then it of course falls in their
responsibility to maintain this constraint. This is similar to other
distributions that are maintaining a consistent set of package versions
(e.g. the conda lock files in the main repo, or linux distros). But
obviously these are activities downstream of sage-the-library.

> Simply recovering the files build/pkgs/*/version_constraints.txt will do
it?

Yes, that should work with some trivial changes in the bootstrap script
(where currently the corresponding version constraint file is generated).

On Thursday, August 22, 2024 at 12:35:57 AM UTC+2 Nils Bruin wrote:

On Wednesday 21 August 2024 at 15:29:05 UTC-7 Matthias Koeppe wrote:

On Wednesday, August 21, 2024 at 2:12:30 PM UTC-7 tobia...@gmx.de wrote:

> the version constraints of the packages that happen to be build
dependencies of the Sage library (enumerated in
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blob/develop/bootstrap#L36) are set in
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blob/develop/src/pyproject.toml#L3

Right (adhering to the standard of modern python libs)

> The tighter version constraints are needed by the Sage distribution

Then please specify these version constraints in sage distribution and not
in sage-lib (eg by providing a version_constraint.txt file that is
compatible with the version constraints of sage-lib and the tighter
constraints set by other packages).

No, I will not start maintaining two sets of constraints.

I don't think *you* would need to maintain that set. It would just be
something to maintained. If Tobias argues convincingly that there is
benefit to maintaining a different set of constraints, he'll probably be
able to find people (himself maybe?) who are willing to maintain such
constraints. If at all possible, no maintenance task should fall to any
single person.