Moreover, there is actually a very simple way to specify a different
constraint for sage-the-distro: just remove the auto-gen of the
version-requirements file, and provide an own one for sage-the-distro.

That way was discussed in
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37902#discussion_r1744898150.

I agree with your viewpoint. How to specify version constraints for certain
modularized distros, however, is another topic that I don't want to open.

I've set the PR back to needs work since the version constraints in
pyproject.toml for cython and numpy are not needed in my testing,
definitely not for sage-the-lib but apparently not even for sage-the-distro
(at least I didn't get any build errors without them).