On Monday, September 9, 2024 at 6:08:36 AM UTC-7 tobia...@gmx.de wrote:

The PR does not include any explanation as to why the changes to
pyproject.toml are necessary, nor does it provide any guidance on how to
test them.

Yes, it does not, because it's the same for every package upgrade PR. We
update version constraints when needed.

I used the standard configure process (now also with the
system-site-packages switch) followed by make, both with and without these
changes, and observed no visible differences. Could you please clarify how
to observe the impact of the 'numpy >=1.22.4' constraint? Additionally, the
comment preceding it is quite confusing, especially since this file
<https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/maintenance/1.13.x/pyproject.toml>
actually lists "numpy>=2.0.0rc1,<2.3".

If the only apparent effect of these constraints is related to the
system-site-package feature,

Yes, that's exactly what they do. (If one ignores the modularized
distributions.)

And it's a deliberate design decision that we made when the
system-site-package feature was created: Because of the scarcity of
developers working on it, we want to maintain only a single set of version
constraints for synergy.

But note that the system-site-package feature is still experimental, and
very little effort has been put in to making it work on distributions other
than perhaps two developers' personal systems. I built the CI
infrastructure to test it systematically. As you can see in the CI run for
the latest beta  https://github.com/sagemath/sage/actions/runs/10873724362
(section "standard-sitepackages"), there are numerous failures. If this was
in better shape, we could simply test upgrade PRs using the CI.

I would appreciate feedback from the developers working on this feature
(Dima?, Michael?) regarding how to specify these constraints now that
sage-lib defines its own constraints in pyproject.toml.

The change is purely syntactic -- that's all that your PR (and the
subsequent fixups of it) did. There has been no semantic change whatsoever.
Previously all version constraints were set centrally in the
build/pkgs/*/install-requires.txt files (recently renamed to
version_requirements.txt), now some are set in src/pyproject.toml. That's
all.

To avoid further delaying the package upgrades in this PR, I am okay with
reverting the changes to pyproject.toml for now and revisiting them once
the discussion is concluded.

No, that's not how it works. Scope matters! This discussion is clearly out
of scope of the upgrade PR.