On May 1, 2008, at 2:51 PM, William Stein wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wrote a new version of my ISSAC talk abstract.  What do you think:
>
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/was/tmp/abstract.pdf

I think the previous abstract (version 2) is much better--this
abstract seems more a reaction to the recent threads on sage-devel
and doesn't seem to answer as well what Sage is to a new audience.
Also, this last abstract makes it clear that Sage is useful to you
(or someone else interested in linear algebra over cyclotomic fields/
modular abelian varieties) but if I hadn't heard of these two
problems before (the majority of your audience I'm assuming) I
wouldn't get the impression at all that Sage was anything that could
help me, or that I should be interested in. It also gives the
impression that Sage isn't useful yet (clearly not true--I think the
quote if Linus about something that almost does what other people
want is relevant here.)

Though I've never been to ISSAC (someone who has been, correct me if
I'm wrong), I get the impression that many of the people there would
have little C programs and scripts that they use/develop for
research. If this is the case then I think it would be worthwhile
expanding on the interfaces portion about how Sage can easily
interact with C and command line programs, do non-trivial text
processing, and put it all together in one cohesive mathematical
environment.

- Robert